- statistic sta‧tis‧tic [stəˈtɪstɪk] noun STATISTICS1. [countable usually plural] a collection of numbers that represent facts or measurements:
• Statistics show that 35% of new businesses fail in their first year.
• the October employment statistics— statistical adjective :
• There is no statistical evidence that the economy is recovering.— statistically adverb :
• The results were not statistically significant.2. statistics [plural] the branch of mathematics that studies facts and information represented by a collection of numbers:
• The course includes mechanics, statistics, and computer science.3. [singular] a single number that represents a fact or measurement:
• Annual sales per employee have jumped about 37% , which is a statistic we feel very good about.
* * *statistic UK US /stəˈtɪstɪk/ noun► [S] a fact or piece of information that is shown by a number: »
The euro area's economic slowdown was confirmed by another statistic.»
The most interesting statistic is that the average time on the site is 14 minutes.● statistics — Cf. statistics● not just/only a statistic — Cf. not only a statistic
Financial and business terms. 2012.